I decided to pick up a few at the grocery store on Sunday to enjoy during the week. Well, I cut one up this morning, but when I ate it, my mouth freaked out! Everything felt really dry and my tongue swelled. I have never had any kind of allergy to anything but I assumed that's what it was. It just didn't make sense because I've never had that reaction to the fruit before!
Luckily, some internet research revealed that fruit allergy it was not! The persimmon was actually just unripe. Unripe persimmons contain something called tannin. It's some kind of astringent. Here is a helpful picture from Wikipedia that shows the differences in ripe and unripe persimmons:
|the front ones, which are darker and with lines, are ripe and OK to eat|
Anyway, my mouth's reaction to the unripe persimmon was a nice lesson in biochemistry. I hope you have learned from my lesson and can avoid any similar experiences!